Jewelry Classes in Minnesota
If you are interested in learning how to make jewelry there is no better way than to work with a master. The benefit to this is that odds are they have made all the mistakes and can put you on a path to success. “Mistake” is not a bad word. It means that they have had to learn the best way to make jewelry cleanly and efficiently. Many of the classes I have thought have helped advance new jewelers ahead in there development by years. Knowing what not to do is just as important as what to do.
Do your research. Ask yourself a few questions when taking a jewelry class.
- How long has my instructor been in the metal arts?
- Is the instructor innovative? Can they think out side the box to solve problems?
- Have they been awarded for there work?
- Personality! If you have a “grumpy Gus” or someone who can only do and cant explain that is not going to be good for your learning. Look for instructors who can talk to you. It makes all the difference in the world.
- Contact the learning center and ask about the class and the instructor. Easy breezy
I hope this helps. Have fun and keep creating! Here are a list of learning centers to get you started.
Crown Trout Jewelers in Lanesboro, Minnesota. This is a great place to take a class! The artists at Crown Trout Jewelers let you work directly in their studio. This gives you the unique chance to see how they create their work and an opportunity to learn from people who are experienced and vetted in the arts. Part of their mission statement is to educate you in the history of the craft as well as the craft itself. You can sign up online or call for more information. 1-888-750-9294
North House Folk School in Grand Marais, Minnesota. This is a wonderful and scenic trip to the north shore. The North House Folk School offers many classes in crafts and Saami Bracelets are no exception. Here is a link to their site. Click here
American Swedish Institute in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The American Swedish Institute offers class on Sami Bracelets as well. Check their site or call for a class listing.
Ingebretsens in Minneapolis, Minnesota. A cool shop and education. Here is their info